The Infini-D Resource Page

Specular Infini-D 4.5 Box

Specular Infini-D 4.5 Box

Years ago, when I was first starting to get into 3D graphics and animation, I came across a program called Infini-D made by a company called Specular. They were then bought out by Metatools (which is now called Viewpoint), and Infini-D was rolled into (or just killed by) Carrara which is now owned by eovia. Who knows what ever happened to this little app. It was the easiest 3D program i’ve ever used, but then again, 10 years ago, things were a lot more simple. Who had ever thought back then that we’d ever have enough horse power to use radiosity?

Hilariously enough, you can still buy Training for Infini-D, even though it’s no longer available! Some people still have sites with links and information, and the old PostFourm is still active, although there hasn’t been a post since last year for someone looking for a pirated copy, lol.

I used to host a modestly popular web site (at the time) called the Infini-D Resource Page. I had hundreds of models on there, all free for using in whatever project that you wanted. I got a lot of use out of them, using some of the models in a few animations that I was doing while working at a local TV station doing broadcast design.

Fear the horrible web design and amazing tackiness of the Infini-D Resource page, circa 1998

Amazingly, I used to get email about the Infini-D resource page, and whether or not I’d ever resurrect it. That’s not going to happen, but I’ve placed all the models available for download once again if anyone is stuck in a time-warp, using OS9 on some old Quadra Power Mac.

Even more amazingly, the webarchive seems to have a 95% intact version of the Infini-D Resource Page in their archives. Check it out!

If you use any of these models or need anything else that was ever on the Infini-D Resource page, send me an email, and I’ll post it on this page for you.

Thanks,

Complete Infini-D Resource Page Model Archive (47MB)

8 Comments

1. thomas says:

Soooo….. any idea where I could get a windows copy of this now abondonware Infini-D…. I fell in love with it on a Mac, but now with OSX – I figure my best bet for rekindling it would be to find a windows copy and run it through bootcamp/parallels.

Anyone?

Good idea though right!!

2. Don C. says:

Try Cheeta 3D… Looks similar. Price is about the same as Logomotion was, way back when.

3. Drew says:

Ah memories… to see the Infini-D archive. It’s too bad I never signed the guestbook – that would have been cool to see. I think I started using ID in ’92… 20 years ago!

I just found my Specular Replicas disc – Has a model library and demo version of Specular Infini-D 2.8!

I still use Carrara (now at 8.1). There are still a few bits of code carried over from Infini-D – namely the Particle Generator – which was ahead of it’s time when it was released in ID.

4. francisco says:

I´ve got some old files and would like to rerender at a better resolution, does anyone knows what was the extension (I was working with a mac) and if there´s any software that could open them. Cheers

• kgartner says:

As far as I know there’s nothing out there that will open the files. You could probably try running Windows 95 in a VM and find a pirated copy of Infini-D for PC and open/re-render the files that way.

5. Robert says:

I am loving this!! Every once in a while a copy of Logomotion or Infini-D will pop up on eBay or Amazon. You may want to also try Craigslist in your area OR an area that does a lot of production as companies will dump old software for sale there. If you are REALLY desperate AND you need a computer, I saw a rounded base iMac on eBay yesterday for @250 LOADED with software and 9.2.2 I believe. If I had the money, I would buy it :) Have yet to find a torrent, but I do have a couple of hard copies of 4.5 (can’t find them, they are somewhere), 3.1, and (drumroll) REPLICAS, the disk with tons of models.
    I always loved this software and it is very easy to use, and I plan on going through this site to check out everything I can. Thank you SO MUCH for this resource!!